Online free course
The Market Information Organization of the Americas (MIOA) is pleased to present and make available to its member countries the virtual course on "Basic Agricultural Price Analysis for decision-making".
The main objective of the course is to strengthen the technical capacities of those responsible for the operation of market information systems in their respective countries. In this way, they will be able to increase and update their knowledge in the analysis of prices, managing to influence in an effective way in the decision making of the different market players and with that, to improve the transparency with which the commercial activity is carried out.
To strengthen the knowledge and technical skills in the basic analysis of agricultural prices, to contribute to efficient decision making. This will be done through the presentation of analytical tools and techniques that will allow us to better appreciate, understand and acknowledge the structure, behavior and performance of markets; particularly agricultural ones.
- Know the factors that determine the formation of prices, especially prices linked to agricultural products, as well as the types of market structure that currently exist and their main implications for decision making.
- Learn about the sources that explain the variation of prices and also know the basic techniques to understand the concepts of cycle, trend, seasonality and volatility; as well as its decomposition and separate analysis, its main utilities and/or practical applications.
- Acknowledge and learn some basic tools available to perform technical analysis of prices, which can provide the necessary elements to contribute to a more informed decision making.
- Understand the origin and importance of bilateral and multilateral trade in agricultural products by studying the main variables that need to considered to better understand the linkages between the prices of one agricultural product to another; as well as the level of integration that exists between different markets
- Module 1: Introduction to Price Analysis in Agriculture.
- Module 2: Sources of Price Variation.
- Module 3: Technical Price Analysis.
- Module 4: How are agricultural markets linked?
The interested party in taking this course must know how to use a computer and have a basic knowledge of Excel, mainly in the handling of formulas, processing and interpretation of tables and graphs.
For students who complete all the activities of the course and pass the final evaluation with a grade of 80 or higher, will be awarded a certificate of participation for the completion of the course, which will be available at the end of the course.
Download the Manual on the Basic Analysis of Agricultural Prices for decision-making, which will be the basis of the course: http://repositorio.iica.int/bitstream/11324/6231/2/BVE17119433i.pdf