IICA in Trinidad and Tobago
With over 30 years of experience in Trinidad and Tobago, the IICA office in Trinidad and Tobago continues to contribute to the development of the agricultural sector and rural communities in Trinidad and Tobago through technical cooperation in the following areas of concentration:
· Innovation for productivity and competitiveness
· Agricultural Health and Food Safety
· Agribusiness and Commercialization
· Agriculture, Territories and Rural well being
· Agriculture, Natural Resource Management and Climate change
· Agriculture and Food Security
The work of the office is tailored to respond to the needs of the sector in Trinidad and Tobago, based on consultations with our main client the Ministry of Food Production, Land and Marine Affairs, other national agencies and stakeholder groups in the sector. IICA delivers a quality technical cooperation programme through the use of a range of tools:
· Analyses, studies and impact assessment; conceptual frameworks, methodologies and models; knowledge management tools; mobilization of cooperation; project development and administration.
IICA has built solid relationships with and provides technical assistance to various government Ministries, rural community groups, the private sector, producer organizations, women and young people.
A signature suite of services and products has been developed by the office in the following areas:
· Agrotourism Linkages
· Cost of Production Models
· Value chain development
· Linking producers to markets
The Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture IICA is the institution of the Inter-American System that provides technical cooperation, innovation and specialized knowledge to contribute to the competitive and sustainable development of agriculture in the Americas and to improve the lives of rural dwellers in the member countries.
To be a leading and innovative institution in the provision of technical cooperation for agriculture, known for its contributions to making the agrifood sector competitive, achieving the sustainable development of agriculture, promoting food security, reducing poverty and improving living conditions
In the rural territories of the Americas, based on its strong technical expertise and capacity to provide solutions to the new challenges facing the member countries in these areas.
In executing its technical cooperation programme, the IICA Office in Trinidad and Tobago collaborates with a number of national, regional and international agencies based in Trinidad and Tobago.
Some of these are:
· Agricultural Development Bank (ADB)
· Agricultural Society of Trinidad and Tobago (ASTT)
· Caribbean Agricultural Research and Development Institute (CARDI)
· Food and Agriculture Organization ( FAO)
· Ministry of Food Production, Land and Marine Affairs( MFPLMA)
· Ministries of Tourism and Health
· National Agricultural Marketing and Development Corporation( NAMDEVCO)
· Tobago House of Assembly (THA)
· Trinidad and Tobago Agribusiness Association (TTABA)
· University of the West Indies (UWI)
· University of Trinidad and Tobago(UTT)
· Cocoa and Coffee Industry Board of Trinidad and Tobago(CCIB)