Enhancing Capacity and Processes for Agricultural Policy and Planning
in Trinidad and Tobago
Predominant Lines of Action of the 2010-2014 MTP
Center for Strategic Analysis for Agriculture (CAESPA):
Line 1, Prospective and strategic analyses for agriculture;
Line 2, Public Policies for agriculture
Lack of adequate capacity and appropriate processes for policy development and planning has impacted negatively on the creation of an enabling policy environment and development of clearly defined strategies and plans that are required to stimulate and promote optimal growth and development of the agricultural sector.
To provide assistance in the development of a coherent policy and planning framework that facilitates and promotes the sustained growth and development of the agri-food sector.
1. To enhance the capacity of stakeholders in the agri-food sector to effectively formulate, implement, monitor and evaluate policies, programmes, plans and projects;
2. To conduct strategic analyses, studies, impact assessments and related activities as a basis for informing policy formulation, planning and decision making;
3. To provide support in the design and articulation of agricultural sector policy frameworks, sector/strategic plans, programmes and projects;
4. To assist the Ministry of Food Production, Land and Marine Affairs in the development of methodologies and strengthening systems and procedures to enhance the policy and planning processes and mechanisms for monitoring and evaluation.
The Ministry of Food Production, Land and Marine Affairs and other State Agencies involved in agricultural development.
4 years (2011 – 2014)
Description of activities, outputs, results, and achievement indicators
Specific objective 1
To enhance the capacity of stakeholders in the agri-food sector to effectively formulate, implement, monitor and evaluate policies, programmes, plans and projects.
1. Conduct training programmes in policy, planning projects and related disciplines.
1. Courses on Policy, Planning, projects,
2. Training materials, including manuals
3. Documents containing results of application of training methodologies and tools
Enhanced capacity in MFPLMA/THA and other state agencies in agriculture to formulate, implement, monitor and evaluate policies, programmes, plans and projects.
At least two (2) training workshops conducted and 25 persons trained annually on policy and planning themes.
Provide oversight, guidance and mentorship to officers from Planning Division on Special Policy and Planning related Assignments
1. Special assignments effectively completed with IICA support/oversight.
2. Joint IICA/MFPLMA and IICA/THA reports/documents.
Enhanced capacity in Planning division to undertake analysis, planning and programming.
IICA Staff provide oversight to and mentor planning division staff on at least two planning and policy related special assignments annually.
Specific objective 2
To conduct strategic analyses, studies, impact assessments and related activities as a basis for informing policy formulation, planning and decision making.
Conduct strategic analyses, studies, impact assessments, etc
1. Reports/policy briefs/position papers based on findings of analyses and studies
2. Presentation and distribution of results of analyses and studies to key stakeholders
More informed decision making, planning and policy formulation based on increased availability and reliability of data/information.
At least one analytical study completed on an annual basis
Specific objective 3
To provide support in the design and articulation of agricultural sector policy frameworks, sector/strategic plans, programmes and projects.
Assist in preparation of policy framework, sector /strategic plans and projects.
1. Policy framework, sector and strategic plans, projects and related documents.
2. Consultations, Focus Group meetings, key informant interviews
The adoption of a relevant and responsive policy regime with associated plans and strategies
Policy framework and sector plan completed by end 2011. Annual reviews of sector policy framework and plans.
Specific objective 4
To assist the Ministry of Food Production, Land and Marine Affairs in the development of methodologies and strengthening systems and procedures to enhance the policy and planning processes and mechanisms for monitoring and evaluation.
Assist MFPLMA in strengthening systems and procedures and developing methodologies for improved policy planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Well designed and established MFPLMA internal systems, procedures and methodologies for planning, policy formulation, monitoring and evaluation.
Improved policy and planning processes and enhanced monitoring and evaluation of programs, projects, etc.
Technical assistance provided to Ministry in implementing monitoring and evaluation system in keeping with policy framework and sector plan by end of 2011.
Provide support in the evaluation of specific projects and programmes (e.g National Agribusiness Development Programme).
1.Evaluation reports for specified projects and programmes e.g NADP).
2.Proposals for streamlining projects and programmes based on evaluation.
Improved planning and implementation of selected agricultural development projects and programmes.
Support the evaluation of the National Agribusiness Development Programme in 2011 and 2012 and selected programmes on an annual basis.
Comment: The project and its activities are linked to three instruments of technical cooperation, namely “Prospective analyses, studies and situation analyses and impact assessments”, “Training in subjects related to IICA’s areas of competence” and “Direct Technical Cooperation” as these are applied to strengthening the capacity and processes for policy and planning in Trinidad and Tobago. The project will be executed in close collaboration with FAO and will build upon work that has already been initiated with FAO and MFPLMA in relation to policy and planning.